** Duration: 90-120 minutes, including preparation.
- Ingredients for 4 people
- IJsselmeer eel, 1 kilogram
- Butter, 40 grams
- Salt and pepper, to taste
Preparation stewed IJsselmeer eel
- Cut the cleaned IJsselmeer eel into pieces of 3-4 centimeters.
- Place the pieces of eel upright in a pan (skillet or thick pan) and add a dash of vinegar, salt and pepper. Put bits of butter between the eel and place the pan over high heat until it boils.
- When boiling, put the lid on the pan and let it simmer for 45 minutes on the smallest burner of your stove.
- After these 45 minutes, put the pan 10-15 minutes on the bigest burnet, without the lid, so the eel will boil dry.
- If the eel is still a little wet, skimm the water and just leave it on high heat until a crispy layer appears on the eel.
- Ready for dinner, bon appetit!
Side dishes stewed IJsselmeer eel
You can eat stewed IJsselmeer eel with new potatoes and salad or cooked beetroot. For a truly Volendam touch you can make Volendammer doop. A robust sauce of butter and vinegar, with lots of black pepper.
Back to overview